An all-time family favourite Apple Crumble. Perfect with rhubarb too.
What you need
3 cooking apples or 6 stalks of rhubarb
25g / 1oz sugar
3 dessertspoons water Topping
180g / 6oz / flour 50g / 2oz caster sugar
50g / 2oz polyunsaturated margarine
What you do
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Slice each apple.
- Put sliced apples, sugar and water in a saucepan and cook gently until they are soft.
- Place cooked fruit mixture in a pie dish.
- Sieve flour into a bowl.
- Rub in margarine.
- Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle crumble mixture over fruit mixture.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
- Use any low-fat yogurt or ice-cream as a topping, if desired.
Recipe adapted from “101 Square Meals” – Mid Western Health Board & Limerick Money Advice & Budgeting Service
Taken from “Your Child’s Heart” magazine published by Irish heart Foundation (www.irishheart.ie) ‘The Irish Heart Foundation is the national charity fighting heart disease and stroke. We support, educate and train people to save lives, campaign for patients, promote positive health programmes, fund research and provide vital information. We need your support through donations, as a volunteer or on our training courses’