4 Medium Potatoes chopped
2 Medium Carrots chopped
1 Onion diced
½ Turnip chopped
3 Dessertspoons of peas
4 Cloves of Garlic
Pinch of salt if desired
400g tin of Kidney Beans
1 Low salt Vegetable stock cube
1pt/575mls of boiling water
[toggle title=”Recipe Info” state=”close” ]Number of Servings: 4 Preparation Time: 20 Minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 Minutes Cost: Low[/toggle]
- Pre- heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/ Gas mark 5.
- Fry the onions and garlic for five minutes. Slice potatoes and put a layer in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Layer the onion, garlic, vegetables and kidney beans.
- Repeat layering until the fish is full. Season between the layers.
- Finish with a layer of potatoes.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 1 pt/575 ml of boiling water and add it to the casserole.
- Cover and cook in the pre-heated oven until vegetables are tender.
Instead of a vegetable stock cube cook the vegetables for 1 hour in salted water, drain and add 1pt/575 ml of white sauce. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese and return to the oven for 30 minutes. If you have time why not make your own stock.
This recipe was taken from 101 Square Meals click here for full book. 101 Square Meals is supported by MABS, Safefood and the HSE.