Summer is here, a time for fun and play for our children. Summertime brings with it more social occasions, summer camps, barbeques, day trips, and holidays for the whole family. Plenty of opportunities for fun and activity, but it can be a time when our weekly healthy living routine can be challenged.
How can you as a family stay healthy in the summertime; how can you eat healthy, keep active and enjoy the summer?
Here are my Top 10 Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle over the summer months for you and your family:
- Keep your meal and snack time routine during the summer
- Try not to have ‘treat foods’ everyday
- Swap sugary and fizzy drinks for water
- Choose fruit as a healthy summer option e.g. apples, oranges, pears, pineapple, raspberries, strawberries, bananas – why not make a fresh fruit salad!
- Pack a healthy lunch for summer camp or picnics and day trips
- Reduce screen-time (aim for less than 2 hours per day) and avoid snacking while watching TV
- Remember the recommended portion sizes
- Encourage kids to be active at least 1 hour every day and why not join your kids for some activity fun. (If your children have not been active at all, start slowly with bursts of 15 to 30 minutes – and build it into your daily routine. Add activities over time until they reach the goal of at least 60 minutes a day)
- Don’t forget the sunscreen and keep hydrated
- Ensure your kids get plenty of sleep every night
Why not check out the Little Steps campaign on www.littlesteps.eu www.safefood.eu and www.healthpromotion.ie have more helpful hints and information to support you in having a healthy family fun summer.
Remember small changes to you and your family’s lifestyle can make a big difference!
Enjoy the Summer!!
Maria Barrett, Senior Community Dietitian, Limerick Health Promotion, HSE West Tel no: 069 61430