Servings: Four + Preparation Time: 30 Minutes Cooking Time: 12 Minutes Cost: Low
Swiss Roll Tin 11”x 7”
12oz/340g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
4 dessertspoons milk
2 dessertspoons water
1 teaspoon caster sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 230°C / 450°F / Gas Mark 8.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl. Rub in the margarine. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Beat the eggs with the milk until light and lemon-coloured. Stir this into the flour mixture, mixing with a knife to get a smooth dough. (If dough seems slightly dry add cold water carefully a little at a time).
- Roll dough on a lightly floured board into a thick roll, and divide in 12 equal portions.
- Flour hands lightly and roll each portion into a ball. Place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Make a hole in the top of each bun and push in a little jam. Wet the edges of each hole and pinch together.
- Brush with milk or egg and dust each bun over with caster sugar.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Any type of jam or fresh fruit can be used.
This recipe was taken from 101 Square Meals click here for full book. 101 Square Meals is supported by MABS, Safefood and the HSE.