Servings: Four Preparation Time: 15 Minutes Cooking Time: 45 Minutes Cost: Low
Utensils Needed: Cooking Method:
Wooden Spoon Boil/Stew
3 Tomatoes/tin of tomatoes
1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
¼ pt/150ml low-fat milk
pinch of salt if desired
1 low salt stock cube
1pt/575ml of boiling water
- Wash, peel and dice carrots, turnips and parsnips. Wash and chop leeks, chop onion and slice mushrooms. Skin and chop tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and gently fry onion and mushrooms.
- Add carrots, turnips, parsnips and leeks and fry gently.
- Stir in the flour to absorb fat, gradually stir in the milk.
- Dissolve the stock cube in a 1pt /575ml of boiling water. Add stock and bring to boil, stirring continuously.
- Add tomatoes, pepper and a pinch of salt if desired.
- Cover saucepan and simmer gently for about 45 minutes.
Not all vegetables here need to be used. Select according to availability, choice and cost.
This recipe was taken from 101 Square Meals click here for full book. 101 Square Meals is supported by MABS, Safefood and the HSE.