A healthy and tasty treat for Friday lunchboxes or birthday parties.
What you need
100g/ 4oz polyunsaturated margarine
75g / 3oz white sugar
75g / 3oz brown sugar
125g / 5oz wholemeal flour
125g / 5oz self raising white flour
150g / 6oz oatmeal
1 teaspoon sieved bread soda
75g / 3 oz. raisins
What you do
- Cream margarine and sugar together.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients with raisins being added last.
- If mixture is too dry add a little milk to moisten and to make mixing easier.
- Form into balls and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Flatten with a fork or your hand.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
Recipe from “Cooking for Health” – Susan Higgins, The Kilkenny Health Project Ltd, 1992
Taken from “Your Child’s Heart” magazine published by Irish heart Foundation (www.irishheart.ie) ‘The Irish Heart Foundation is the national charity fighting heart disease and stroke. We support, educate and train people to save lives, campaign for patients, promote positive health programmes, fund research and provide vital information. We need your support through donations, as a volunteer or on our training courses’