Play dough has long been a staple of early childhood fun. Through playing with playdough, young children express their ideas through art and make-believe play. At the same time, they learn symbolic thinking by pretending that the playdough is something else.
What you need to make play dough.
- 1 cup of flour (whatever kind you have at hand)
- ¼ cup of salt
- ½ cup of warm water
- 5 drops of natural food colouring
How you make playdough:
- Mix together the flour and salt.
- Mix together ½ cup of warm water with a few drops of food coloring.
- Slowly pour the water into the flour mixture, stirring as you pour. Stir until combined then knead with your hands until the flour is completely absorbed. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour until it doesn’t stick at all.
- Repeat process for whichever colours you want to make.
Tip: Mixing the food colouring with the water before combining with the dry ingredients allows you to blend them by stirring, without staining your hands