An ideal dish for hiding vegetables. Chutney and ketchup make this sauce sweeter for children (Serves 4)
What you need
450g / 1 lb lean mince beef
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
15ml / 1 tablespoon tomato purée
1 pepper, seeded and chopped
2 small onions, sliced
5 large mushrooms, washed, chopped
15ml / 1 tablespoon of mango chutney (optional)
15ml / 1 tablespoon of tomato ketchup (optional)
5 fresh tomatoes, quartered
A handful of sultanas or grated carrots
15ml / 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped basil to garnish (optional)
What you do
- Place the beef and garlic in saucepan over a moderate heat.
- Cook until beef is browned and drain off the fat.
- Add the onion, pepper, mushrooms and mix well.
- Add tomato puree, chutney and ketchup, mix well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sultanas or grated carrot.
- Cook over low heat for about 45 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Rollercoaster Recipe Ideas
Taken from “Your Child’s Heart” magazine published by Irish heart Foundation (www.irishheart.ie) ‘The Irish Heart Foundation is the national charity fighting heart disease and stroke. We support, educate and train people to save lives, campaign for patients, promote positive health programmes, fund research and provide vital information. We need your support through donations, as a volunteer or on our training courses’