A healthier version of a favourite! (Serves 6)
What you need
5 skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
250g / 10oz flour
500g / 20oz fresh breadcrumbs
500g / 20oz oats 2 eggs beaten
1 – 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
A little salt and black pepper
What you do
- Mix flour, breadcrumbs, oats and seasoning together.
- Place chicken strips in beaten eggs.
- Take each piece of chicken and roll it in the dry mixture.
- Place on a floured plate until they need cooking.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan.
- Add each strip and seal on all sides (this is done by turning each side quickly in a very hot pan).
- When sealed, reduce heat and cook for 20 – 25 minutes depending on size of chicken pieces.
Delicious served with a barbecue sauce. A baked potato on the side goes down well with these fingers.
Recipe adapted from “Food and Diet – Focus on Children’s Food” leaflet by Super Quinn
Taken from “Your Child’s Heart” magazine published by Irish heart Foundation (www.irishheart.ie) ‘The Irish Heart Foundation is the national charity fighting heart disease and stroke. We support, educate and train people to save lives, campaign for patients, promote positive health programmes, fund research and provide vital information. We need your support through donations, as a volunteer or on our training courses’