While it feels like the Costa Del Limerick this week, don’t forget that you don’t need to be on a beach to be vigilant about sun safety. While we’re all enjoying the good weather in our gardens and staying at home. Please remember:
- Babies under 6 months should be kept in the shade and remember to watch out for tiny toes that tend to stick out
- Car-seats and buggies shouldn’t be covered with blankets or muslins – while they might provide shade, they can also cause over-heating
- Follow the Sun Smart Code for all children: Slip on protective clothing, Slap on a hat that shades the face, neck and ears and Slop on sunscreen
- Some numbers to keep in mind: Factor 30 and higher for children, and seek shade between 11am and 3pm when the sun is at its highest
- Don’t under-estimate the importance of sun glasses for children. We often put them on toddlers for the cuteness factor and teenagers tend to love them, but the ages in between need to have their eyes protected too
- Make sipping on water a little more regular and interesting by adding crushed ice, sliced citrus fruit or straws
- Have fun together as you soak up the sunshine!